As technology continues to be a crucial part of our day-to-day jobs, companies are constantly trying to keep up with the latest equipment and devices for their employees. However, this constant cycle of providing, upgrading, and replacing equipment has negative consequences for both the environment and the company's budget.
One of the most significant issues with constant equipment purchases is the massive amount of waste it creates. It is estimated that 8.5 million tons of office furniture and technology are discarded in landfills each year. This not only has a damaging impact on the environment, but also represents a waste of valuable resources, including the metals used in these products.
By giving your equipment a second life, you can reduce e-waste and the carbon emissions associated with producing new devices. Reusing a laptop, for example, can result in a 36% reduction in CO2 emissions at a company level. This can have a significant impact on the environment and contribute to reducing the company's carbon footprint. Plus, you can still get the job done with equipment that's still in great shape.
But let’s talk facts. This is just a short list of why you should consider re-using your equipment:
1. Conserves resources: Manufacturing new equipment requires the use of raw materials and energy, both of which have a significant environmental impact. By reusing or renting equipment, you can conserve resources and reduce your carbon footprint.
2. Reduce waste: Buying new office equipment generates electronic waste, which can harm the environment if not disposed of properly. By reusing equipment, you can reduce the amount of waste generated.
3. Reduces emissions: The transportation of new equipment also contributes to greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. Reusing equipment, stored at a central place like the office or a local warehouse, reduces the need for transportation or long overseas transportation and, in turn, helps reduce emissions. Therefore, extending the life of office equipment is an effective way to lower average annual emissions, as approximately 80 percent of emissions are generated during the manufacturing phase.
4. Promotes circular economy: By reusing office equipment, you can support a circular economy where resources are kept in use for as long as possible, reducing the need for new resources and waste.
Reusing office equipment is becoming a must for companies that want to stay ahead of the curve and ensure their long-term success. Not only is it environmentally responsible, but it can also have significant benefits for your business. Recirculating equipment shows your employees that you’re committed to sustainability and focused on their future, and this can go a long way in improving your company’s reputation, making your business more appealing to new employees who care about the environment.
Workwize's offboarding solution promotes equipment circularity by managing the retrieval, storage, and re-integration of client equipment. This approach to extending a product's lifespan not only reflects our clients' environmental values, but also showcases responsible use of the earth's resources.
Want to make your business more sustainable? We've got you covered!
This is a great way to reduce waste and give older equipment a second life. Not only are you doing your part for the environment, but you're also likely to save money in the process! For example, Back Market sells restored devices that are fully functional, as well as Swoop. This way, you can give a second chance to used devices and combat waste.
When you buy high-quality products, they'll last longer and need to be replaced less often. This means less waste and fewer costs for you in the long run. “Even if it will be a higher investment initially, in the end it might be cheaper”, as our Head of Operations said.
If a device is on the fritz, see if you can fix it before tossing it in the trash. This will save you money and reduce waste. There are more than 215 companies that specialize in repairing devices, so there are plenty of options that would definitely suit your company’s needs regarding that.
When an employee leaves, see if their equipment can be passed on to someone else. This will save you money and keeps older equipment in use. This is why companies should use a strong inventory management software, as they gain real-time visibility into their inventory levels. Check out how Workwize can help your company regarding this matter.
When a product has reached the end of its life, look up local recycling centers to responsibly dispose of it. If you want to take the first step further sustainability and waste reduction, there are businesses that guide you through these processes, such as Closing the Loop.
By incorporating these tips into your business, you'll not only be doing your part for the planet, but you'll also be saving money and improving your company image.
A strong inventory management tool plays a crucial role in making your business more sustainable by facilitating the circular process of recirculating office equipment. With a good inventory management tool, you'll be able to keep track of all your office equipment, including its current status, who is using it, and when it needs to be replaced.
Here's how a strong inventory management tool can help:
1. Streamlined tracking: You'll be able to easily track your equipment from purchase to disposal, making it easier to identify which devices can be refurbished or reused, and which need to be recycled.
2. Efficient allocation: A good inventory management tool will allow you to allocate equipment to employees in a more efficient and organized manner. This means that you'll be able to keep track of who is using what equipment and when it needs to be returned.
3. Best outcome? Better decision making. With a strong inventory management tool, you'll have access to all the data you need to make informed decisions about your equipment. For example, you'll be able to see which devices are being used the most and which are in need of replacement, allowing you to make better decisions about buying, repairing, or recycling.
Overall, a strong inventory management tool helps you streamline your processes, reduce waste, and save money by making it easier for you to manage and recirculate your office equipment.
So why not give it a try today?